Win3x.Org

Windows & DOS Community

Cloudflare annoyance and hiding of external links?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
dracosilv
Post subject: Cloudflare annoyance and hiding of external links?
Posted: 27 Sep 2017 09:39
Membre inscrit

A couple things I just don't get about this site:

Why, when i reload the tab for this website... I get a Cloudflare nags-page requiring me to check a captcha box. Seriously? Is there so much troll-traffic that you need to put in a capcha to get in sometimes?

Also.. why is it that you have to have a login just to view even external-site-links? Hosted files, i can understand.. but simple external links? Seems kinda silly to me.

You /do/ realize that you're gonna either drive away people (that can't be arsed to sign up) or have people that sign up ONCE just to see the link and then basically sod off and never re-visit? (to me that seems like a real way to NOT get repeat viewers/posters...)

Now mind you this is just a bit of a 'salty' rant, and can be dealt with in whatever way admins deem to fit, but these questions DO beg to be asked..

Profile Quote
Big Monstro
Post subject: Re: Cloudflare annoyance and hiding of external links?
Posted: 27 Sep 2017 15:10
Administrateur

Retro PC: 80486 DX2/66, MS-DOS & Windows 95

Hello dracosilv and welcome to Win3x.Org.
dracosilv wrote: *  27 Sep 2017 09:39
Why, when i reload the tab for this website... I get a Cloudflare nags-page requiring me to check a captcha box. Seriously? Is there so much troll-traffic that you need to put in a capcha to get in sometimes?
This website has been protected by Cloudflare since February 2016. Previously, Win3x.Org was frequently attacked (DDoS : up to millions requests daily!).

The Cloudflare protection should be discreet for the vast majority of our legitimate users. I suspect the Cloudflare behavior depends on IP address: if you use a somewhat suspicious IP, you get the captcha prior accessing Win3x.Org and that might reappear later. If you don't use Tor or any other way to fake your IP and continue to get this captcha box, I am sorry for the inconvenience. Nobody reported that issue: our Staff and the registered users are mostly located in Canada or Europe but there are some US residents too.
dracosilv wrote: *  27 Sep 2017 09:39
Also.. why is it that you have to have a login just to view even external-site-links? Hosted files, i can understand.. but simple external links? Seems kinda silly to me. You /do/ realize that you're gonna either drive away people (that can't be arsed to sign up) or have people that sign up ONCE just to see the link and then basically sod off and never re-visit? (to me that seems like a real way to NOT get repeat viewers/posters...)
Which external links are hidden from guests? We use a special tag in the download section (hosted files) and that's all.

Best regards,
Big Monstro

Profile Quote
Presea
Posted: 08 Oct 2017 20:56
Membre inscrit

Retro PC: NEC Versa P/75, Casio Fiva MPC-501

I've been having trouble with that as well.. but if it's stopping ddos attacks I guess I'll just deal with it. lol
Though why would this site be attacked?.. weird..

Profile Quote
Der Siebte Schatten
Posted: 08 Oct 2017 21:22
Modérateur

Retro PC: Toshiba Satellite 220CS (WFW3.11/95/NT4)

Weird is the word indeed, but I guess some people have nothing better to do with their free time... :roll:

Anyway we will get a closer look to that problem, because Cloudfare is not that annoying yet for most users here. You are the first here to report this issue...

Geboren aus Blut und Tränen, in einer Zukunft aus Tränen und Stahl...
[ img ]
[ img ]
Dunkle Träume, Roter Mond... In den Bäumen lauert ein Phantom...

Profile Quote
dracosilv
Posted: 06 Nov 2017 03:39
Membre inscrit

Big Monstro wrote: *  27 Sep 2017 15:10
Which external links are hidden from guests? We use a special tag in the download section (hosted files) and that's all.
I can't remember off the top of my head, but it was a pair of external site-links.. and i could only open/expand the box they were in if i signed up.

Profile Quote
KeetKhat
Posted: 06 Nov 2017 10:07
Membre inscrit

Retro PC: IBM ThinkPad 380ED, Windows 95

It's just probably for Windows 98

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “Other stuffs”
Jump to: