Aller sur la page 1 2 »
Auteur Message
myrkraverk
Sujet du message : Request: New Software Ideas
Publié : 28 juin 2021 02:50
Membre inscrit
Hors-ligne

Dear win3x,

I am a programmer with tools to create Windows 3.x programs; however, I am bad at coming up with ideas for simple graphical programs. My interest usually lie in behaviour, not looks, so command line tools are good enough for my own coding adventures.

What kind of simple programs would people like? Keep in mind that I am most likely to do things that I find interesting, so don't feel bad if I say "no" to some ideas.

Thanks.

Profil Citer
Deksor
Sujet du message : Re: Request: New Software Ideas
Publié : 28 juin 2021 12:49
Membre d'honneur
Hors-ligne

PC Rétro : 486DX 33 8mo SB Pro 2, P2 450 128mo Voodoo 2 SLI

This is very interesting !

However I feel like most simple and useful things already have been done in windows 3.x a long time ago.

The only things I can think of are much more complex and graphically demanding projects (like a proper web browser, because those made for 3.x are horrible, even for the standards of that era. They crash when images are too big, they have issues downloading stuff, etc. Their 32 bit counterparts don't have these issues)

WatlersWorld made drivers for newer things, but I don't think this is simple either.

Profil Citer
myrkraverk
Publié : 28 juin 2021 20:37
Membre inscrit
Hors-ligne

Yes, a browser is not going to be my first task. In fact, while possible, maybe, it's one of those tasks that will never get done properly without funding. The OS/2 community is spending a lot of effort on it, and they have funding, so for them it's feasible.

Replicating simple apps so it can be extended, either by me, or someone else, is also a worthwhile task.

My own interests lie in algorithms and behaviour, not looks, so it's not that easy for me to come up with ideas that aren't just DOS tools.

So, what do you want to see, either new or replicated?

Profil Citer
Deksor
Publié : 28 juin 2021 21:36
Membre d'honneur
Hors-ligne

Maybe a file compression/decompression tool ? From what I can understand there are such things that exist for windows 3.1 but they're just DOS pkzip frontends, and thus they just support ZIP archives. A custom one could support as many archives as the programmer (you) would like, so you could for instance implement things like 7zip, RAR, etc.

I wasn't aware OS/2 community was working on a OS/2 web browser :o Do you have any link to it ?
Maybe once they're "done", some of their work could be ported to windows 3.1 ? I wonder if they intend to support TLS

Profil Citer
myrkraverk
Publié : 28 juin 2021 23:54
Membre inscrit
Hors-ligne

Deksor a écrit : *  28 juin 2021 21:36
Maybe a file compression/decompression tool ? From what I can understand there are such things that exist for windows 3.1 but they're just DOS pkzip frontends, and thus they just support ZIP archives. A custom one could support as many archives as the programmer (you) would like, so you could for instance implement things like 7zip, RAR, etc.
That is one possibility. I admit I still just use these tools on the command line; even on win10. Do you have a favorite tool to emulate?
Deksor a écrit : *  28 juin 2021 21:36
I wasn't aware OS/2 community was working on a OS/2 web browser :o Do you have any link to it ?
Maybe once they're "done", some of their work could be ported to windows 3.1 ? I wonder if they intend to support TLS
I don't have a direct link handy to any official announcements. They're working on porting Qt 5, which they intend to use to make a webkit (chrome based, these things change names every few years and I don't keep up with the latest names) browser. They're on the final legs to fund the Qt 5 port. After that I don't know what the porting effort will be like. Maybe all they do is run "make".

You can find out more about the funding and project at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/

Profil Citer
Deksor
Publié : 29 juin 2021 00:43
Membre d'honneur
Hors-ligne

I'd say 7zip tool for windows 3.1x would be great !
Version 9.20 works on windows 9x/NT4 as well, but not on 3.1x (there's an old DOS version tho).

Profil Citer
myrkraverk
Publié : 29 juin 2021 03:17
Membre inscrit
Hors-ligne

Deksor a écrit : *  29 juin 2021 00:43
I'd say 7zip tool for windows 3.1x would be great !
That's something I can begin to explore. The de/compression should be trivial to get working, apart from memory issues; we can see about those when we get to it. I have two questions.

What do you want to do about long and foreign file names in archives?

What is a good look & feel for it? More or less just like current 7-zip, for which I attached screenshots, or do you have something else in mind?

7-zip compression dialog

7-zip browser.

Profil Citer
Deksor
Publié : 29 juin 2021 15:08
Membre d'honneur
Hors-ligne

If you feel you can make it look like the original, that'd be awesome !

For long file names I don't know.

By the way will it be open or closed source ?

Profil Citer
myrkraverk
Publié : 30 juin 2021 22:51
Membre inscrit
Hors-ligne

An update on the project. I have compiled all but the multi threaded code, in C, in the Lzma toolkit for Windows 3.x. The next step is to combine it with an interface and see what works and what doesn't.

The project is going to require a 386, but not win32s. I do not think the Lzma toolkit [what 7z uses under the hood, I believe] is going to work on a 286 without serious changes, and I am not going to bother to try.
Deksor a écrit : *  29 juin 2021 15:08
If you feel you can make it look like the original, that'd be awesome !
I can aim for it, but for the most part in the initial version, I want to stick to standard Windows 3.x controls. I'll probably share screenshots when I have them ready. As of right now, I have not gone over a catalog of the standard controls, so I don't know what I have and what I don't.

I don't know if the project will work in 3.0. It's not a priority for me. Yet, I am not going out of my way to require 3.1, it's just the only thing I test.
For long file names I don't know.
I will try to come up with some sort of filename washing mechanism, possibly allowing people to predetermine the filenames before extracting [assuming I even get to the point where it extracts anything.]
By the way will it be open or closed source ?
I have not made up my mind yet.

Profil Citer
myrkraverk
Publié : 02 juil. 2021 21:19
Membre inscrit
Hors-ligne

Another update. I am slowly going through Windows 3 programming books, there is a lot to learn.

I'll start to share screenshots when I have something relevant to share, and is not taken directly out of a book. The examples I'm working with exposed a deficiency in my programming environment, which I will probably help to ammend. MichalN of the OS/2 Museum site has started that project.

I'm also writing up my experiences -- which takes even more time.

Finally, I should say I can read much of French, but I can't write it. Readers can express themselves in French too -- it'll only take me longer to read and understand.

Profil Citer
Afficher : Trier par : Ordre :
Répondre   Page 1 sur 2  [ 12 messages ]
Revenir à « Retrocomputing » | Aller sur la page 1 2 »
Aller :